Options for Free or Reimbursed COVID-19 Tests
- Contract with another vendor or manufacturer to receive test kits and testing supplies. Click to download a shortlist of rapid antigen test vendors. Another list of
vendors is available from the Open and Safe Schools website at this link: https://www.openandsafeschools.org/partners#Testing-Partners. These tests are reimbursable
through the Direct Funding component of this program.
- Direct families to use the free federal Over-the-Counter testing program.
- Share the NMDOH COVID-19 Testing Dashboard for resources on testing locations.
Please note that many antigen tests have been given extended expiration dates:
- If you received the iHealth antigen tests, you can check your tests here for extended expiration dates: https://ihealthlabs.com/pages/news
- If you received another brand of antigen tests, you can check the FDA website for extended expiration dates: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list
New Mexico Point-of-Care (POC) Testing in Schools Guidance
The NM POC Testing in Schools Guidance Document is an extremely helpful resource for all point-of-care testing in schools. For more information, contact your School Health Advocate.
Point-of-Care Testing Checklist
Last Updated 2/10/2022
To perform Point-of-Care testing with rapid antigen tests, all schools need the following. To get started on the process, ensure you are registered at www.nmschoolscovidtesting.com/registration or contact us with questions. Technical support is available on our website and through email@example.com.
An Up-to-Date CLIA Certificate of Waiver
This is an allowable expense under Program Option D - Direct Funding. All New Mexico schools and districts may work with REC1 to be supported by their CLIA CoW program at no charge. Find more information at this link.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Please ensure your school has an adequate supply of PPE and all testing staff have reviewed CDC guidance on the use of PPE. PPE is an allowable expense under Program Option D - Direct Funding.
A Biohazard Waste Management Disposal Service
If you are conducting any PoC testing, including COVID-19 testing, you will need to make arrangements with a waste management company or make other arrangements (some have agreements with their School Based Health Center) for biohazard waste management. This is an allowable expense under Program Option D - Direct Funding.
The district or school must either receive COVID-19 test training from PMG or complete the online training for each COVID-19 test product (each testing product will have a different training).
You are required to obtain a NMDOH Standing Order to Administer Point of Care (rapid) COVID-19 Tests to participate in this testing program. All program requirements must be met prior to receiving authorization and access to the test kit ordering system. Standing orders will be issued through firstname.lastname@example.org after verification of checklist completion.
Alerts and Updates
1/21/2021: BD Veritor COVID-19 /Flu A+B Protocol
Click here for more information on what to do if you receive a test kit that includes Flu A+B detection.